Dakota bread is made using water, yeast, honey, flax meal, 7-grain blend, salt, wheat gluten, whole-wheat flour, unbleached flour, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, poppy seeds, sesame seeds and an egg. The bread takes approximately 2 hours to mix and bake.
Buying roasted sunflower seeds saves time during the preparation of the bread and eliminates a step.
Prep Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 to 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- 2 cups water
- 2 packages yeast
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1/2 cup 7-grain blend
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 4 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup each pumpkin and flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 egg, beaten
- Chop up pumpkin seeds, roast the sunflower seeds if needed and mix with the remaining seeds.
- Combine the yeast, water, honey and 7-grain blend. Allow it to proof for 5 to 10 minutes. Add the salt and flours and stir until combined. Mix in most of the seeds, reserving a couple of teaspoons to sprinkle over completed bread before baking.
- Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic. Allow the dough to proof approximately an hour. Punch down and let rest about 5 minutes, then separate into smaller loaves and let rest about half an hour.
- Brush the loaves with egg and bake at 375 F for 30 to 40 minutes.