Cowboy calico beans are made with ground beef, onions and four different types of beans, including butter and kidney beans. This meal does not take long to put together, but it will need about 4 hours to cook.
Cowboy Calico Beans
The easiest way to cook these beans is to put them in a slow cooker. Cowboy calico beans are a filling dish that can serve as a main course or side dish.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Ready In: 4 hours 30 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 16-ounce can butter beans, drained
- 1 16-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can pork and beans
- 1 15 1/4-ounce can lima beans, rinsed and drained.
- Cook the beef and chopped onion in a large skillet over medium heat, just until meat is no longer pink. Drain.
- Transfer the beef mixture to a slow cooker. In a bowl, combine the ketchup, vinegar, mustard and brown sugar. Add to the meat.
- Stir in all the beans. Cover and cook on low heat for 4 to 5 hours or until thoroughly heated. Serve hot.