Heat milk, vanilla extract, sugar, butter and cocoa powder, and then stir in coconut and quick-cooking oats. The mixture is rolled into balls and allowed to cook before eating.
For a quick, no-bake holiday treat, consider making up some coconut haystacks. These no-bake cookies satisfy that craving for gooey, sweet chocolate.
Prep Time: 8 min.
Cook Time: 42 min.
Total Time: 50 min.
- 1 cup coconut
- 3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toast the shredded coconut Toast the coconut over low heat in a large skillet until it starts to turn golden, about 10 minutes. Pour the coconut into a bowl with the quick-cooking oats.
- Heat up the liquid ingredients Mix together the sugar, butter, milk, cocoa powder and vanilla in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes.
- Mix the dry and liquid ingredients Pour the hot liquid over the coconut and the oats. Stir it to mix everything together. The dough should be gooey, but not liquid, and textured with the coconut and oats. Allow it to cool enough to handle.
- Form the dough balls Line a cookie sheet with wax paper. Drop spoonfuls of the dough onto the wax paper. Press the dough down slightly with the back of the spoon to help it hold together. Set the cookie sheet into the refrigerator until they harden enough to pick up, about 20 minutes.