A classic blue Hawaiian recipe calls for light rum, pineapple juice and sweet and sour mix. This recipe was developed in 1957 by Harry Yee at the Hilton Hawaiian Village resort.
Classic Blue Hawaiian
This classic recipe serves two, but can be easily adjusted to make more or less, as needed.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Ready In: 5 minutes
- 1.5 ounces light rum
- 1.5 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce Blue Curacao liqueur
- 6 ounces pineapple juice
- 2 ounces sweet and sour mix
- Combine all the ingredients and mix well. Pour into tall festive glasses and garnish each with a colorful umbrella.
- If serving with ice, mix the ingredients in a blender until thick. Serve as above.
- For added variety, add 3 ounces of orange juice and serve over ice.
To make a Blue Hawaiian screwdriver, omit the sweet and sour mix and rum.
Some people enjoy the taste of coconut in their blue Hawaiian. For a coconut twist, add in 1/4 cup cream of coconut. Blend the mixture with ice and serve with a fresh or maraschino cherry as a garnish.
The blue Hawaiian can be made with no alcohol. To make a "virgin" blue Hawaiian, simply leave out the alcohol and mix according to the directions.