Taste of Home magazine has a low-sugar pistachio pudding dessert recipe that also contains low-fat ingredients and is quick to make. It requires the baker to make two separate layers of dessert along with a topping by combining pistachio pudding with milk for one layer, and cream cheese with sour cream and whipped topping for another layer.
Fluffy Pistachio Dessert
This dessert serves 24 and contains 153 calories and 6 grams of fat in one serving. It's a great summertime dessert because it is light and requires very little cook time.
Prep Time: 30 min.
Cook Time: 10-12 min.
Ready In: 1 hr. 45 min.
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat, softened margarine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 8-oz. package fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 2 8 oz. carton reduced fat whipped topping, thawed
- 3 cups cold fat-free milk
- 2 1-oz. packages of sugar-free, fat-free instant pistachio pudding mix
- 2 tablespoons ground walnuts
- Combine crust ingredients
- Bake the crust
- Make the first layer of pudding
- Add second layer
Beat margarine until it's smooth. Add in the flour and sugar and beat the mixture until it has a crumbly texture. Stir in the walnuts.
Preheat the oven to 375 F. Press the crust mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake the crust for 10 to 12 minutes and cool to make the crust.
Beat together the cream cheese and sour cream. Fold in 1 container of whipped topping. Spread this mixture over the baked crust. Separately mix together the pudding and milk on low speed.
Spread the pudding and milk combination on top of the first layer. Sprinkle walnuts over top and allow to chill for at least an hour.