There are many preservatives used in food to help it stay fresh including aspartame, sodium nitrate, monosodium glutamate, high fructose corn syrup and BHA. The preservatives help to maintain taste and appearance.
Most additives in food have no adverse effects from eating them, but it is nice to know what is being ingested. Some of the chemical preservatives used in food are:
- Aspartame: An artificial sweetener that is used for dieters.
- Sodium nitrate: A chemical used for preserving meat.
- Monosodium glutamate: Also known as MSG and a flavor enhancer.
- High fructose corn syrup: An additive used to retain moisture and keep food fresh. Too much of this may cause health problems.
- Butylated hydroxyanisole: Also known as BHA and used to delay rotting in food; it is generally used in oily foods.