Are Liriope Berries Poisonous?

Liriope berries, which come from the plant commonly called lily turf, can cause low toxicity when ingested but are not considered poisonous. The berries only react if ingested. Handling the berries cannot harm you in any way.

The plant is listed as nontoxic but many experts and professionals, like the North Carolina State University’s agriculture department, list the berry as able to cause upset stomachs if ingested. It is highly unlikely that a person or animal would die from an upset stomach, but it is wise to avoid any pain or discomfort that might come from the low toxicity levels in the berries. These plants belong in an area that children or animals do not play.