The Dr. Pepper BBQ chicken recipe on Food.com received 4.5-star reviews. The recipe is easy to make on a grill or in the oven, requiring ingredients such as Dr. Pepper, chili powder and oil, and can be made in under an hour.
Dr. Pepper BBQ Chicken
The Dr. Pepper sauce for this recipe can be doubled or halved to make as much or as little as needed. This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Ready In: 45 minutes
- 1 2/3 cups Dr. Pepper soda
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Simmer until the flavors meld, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Baste the chicken in the sauce.
- Cook the chicken on the grill or in the oven until thoroughly cooked.
Another variation to the Dr. Pepper BBQ chicken recipe includes cooking the chicken in a slow cooker with barbecue sauce and Dr. Pepper on high for 3 hours.
For added flavor, try adding soy sauce, fresh-squeezed lime juice, garlic or Tabasco sauce to the sauce.