A study conducted by Preethi Sudha et al. published in the Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition shows the healthy antimicrobial properties resulting from the storage of water in a copper pot overnight. The sterilization properties of copper-stored water offer a safe alternative to plain tap water.
The study outlines the ability of water stored in copper to destroy a wide range of pathogens. Some of these include meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, otherwise known as MRSA, and E. coli, according to Preethi Sudha et al. The copper's damage to organic cells renders them incapable of resuscitation.
The Washington State Department of Health addresses the issue of copper toxicity, explaining how consumption of copper in drinking water combined with its existence in other foods can be poisonous. However, the amount of copper present in water from overnight storage contains about one-twentieth of the World Health Organization's acceptable level, explains Preethi Sudha et al. At this rate, it is important to store water in copper for a period long enough to reap its health benefits, yet short enough to remain safe.
Dietary copper helps the body form red blood cells and collagen, absorb iron and create energy. It also works with nerve cells and the immune system and can act as an antioxidant, notes the University of Maryland Medical Center. However, its interaction with some types of drugs makes drinking copper-infused water unsuitable for some people.