If spoiled beef is consumed there is a risk of food-borne illness. The most common illness caused by eating spoiled meat is food poisoning.
Food poisoning can cause an upset stomach, diarrhea, fever, vomiting, nausea, aches and pains. The onset of food poisoning occurs shortly after eating contaminated food.
In most cases, food poisoning goes away on its own without medical assistance. It is important to stay hydrated when one has food poisoning.
Storing beef properly for the recommended periods of time helps prevent food-borne illness. Ground beef should not be stored in the refrigerator for more than 2 days. Fresh beef should not be stored in the refrigerator for more than 3 to 5 days.