Halal chicken is meat from a chicken that was slaughtered in accordance with Islamic law. The word "halal" means "permissible" in Arabic, according to The Kitchn.
The rules which must be followed in order for meat to be halal are:
- The name of God, Allah, must be pronounced during the slaughter.
- The chicken must be killed by having its throat cut. The blade used should be very sharp to make the killing humane.
- The chicken must be hung upside-down and bled dry.
- The chicken must be conscious.
- The slaughter must be carried out by either a Muslim, Jew or Christian.
- The chicken must have had a healthy diet, and not have been fed any animal products.