This recipe is ready in about 30 minutes and does not require a lot of ingredients.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ready In: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 dumplings
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in the shortening using a pastry blender or knife. Remove any large lumps and mix until the mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Stir in the milk and combine until the mixture is moistened. The dough will be lumpy.
- Drop the dough into the stew or chicken mixture. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes. It is normal for the dumplings to float along the surface of the broth.
- Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Dumplings not only work well in savory soups and stews, they can be sweetened to add to a dessert. For sweet dumplings, try adding sugar and extracts such as vanilla, coconut or rose water.
Learn more about Bread