A quick and easy dumpling recipe calls for ingredients such as flour, shortening and milk. The dumplings work well in stews or dishes such as chicken and dumplings.
This recipe is ready in about 30 minutes and does not require a lot of ingredients.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ready In: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 dumplings
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in the shortening using a pastry blender or knife. Remove any large lumps and mix until the mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Stir in the milk and combine until the mixture is moistened. The dough will be lumpy.
- Drop the dough into the stew or chicken mixture. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes. It is normal for the dumplings to float along the surface of the broth.
- Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Dumplings not only work well in savory soups and stews, they can be sweetened to add to a dessert. For sweet dumplings, try adding sugar and extracts such as vanilla, coconut or rose water.