By using a pre-packaged cake mix and chocolate icing, this Ho Ho cake recipe is fast and easy. This recipe can be made in under an hour and because of the homemade cream filling, tastes just like a Hostess Ho Ho cake.
Ho Ho Cake
This Ho Ho cake recipe is easy enough for novice cooks to make in less than an hour and requires ingredients that can be found anywhere. It makes 12 servings.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Ready in: 40 minutes
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
1 16-ounce tub dark chocolate frosting
- Follow the directions on the cake mix to make two round cakes.
- Cool the cakes on wire racks. When cooled, cut each cake into two pieces lengthwise, making four "cakes."
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, shortening, milk, vanilla, salt and water for about 7 minutes. Add the powdered sugar and beat for another 5 minutes.
- Lay out one layer of the cake on a plate and spread the cream filling on the top. Do not take the filling all the way to the edge.
- Lay another layer of cake on top and spread the filling evenly on top. Continue with the other layers.
- After all the layers are finished, frost the whole cake with the chocolate frosting.