Piggy soup is a cabbage soup that calls for beef or turkey, onion, cloves, chicken stock, canned tomatoes with green chilies, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, carrots, celery, water, salt, ground black pepper, cabbage, mixed vegetables, parsley, basil and Cajun spices. The soup is named both cabbage soup and piggy soup.
Piggy soup can have vegetables swapped out to taste. The Cajun seasoning is optional or adjustable to taste.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 60 to 90 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes
- 1 pound beef or turkey
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 10-ounce can original Ro-Tel
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 pinches Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 medium cabbage head, shredded
- 3 cups mixed vegetables
- Small palmful dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- In a large stockpot, add the meat and brown it over medium heat. After a couple of minutes, add onions until the meat browns and onions turn translucent, about five minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Add all tomato products, stock, carrots, celery, water, salt and black pepper. Bring everything to a boil, reduce to simmer, partially cover and cook for an hour. Add the cabbage, mixed vegetables, herbs and seasonings and cook until cabbage is tender, around 20 minutes.