One recipe for pork sausage involves making it into a breakfast sausage, and can be made using pork butt as well as fat back combined with herbs and sugar. The recipe requires access to a meat grinder in order to easily form the sausage into patties for cooking.
This breakfast sausage requires intermediate cooking skills, and produces 2 pounds or 16, 2-inch patties of meat. It can also be turned into Italian sausage with proper seasoning.
Prep Time: 30 min.
Cook Time: 15 min.
Ready In: 1 hour 45 min.
- 2 lbs., pork butt, or 2 1/2 lbs. if the bone is in, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 lb., fat back, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh nutmeg, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Mix together all ingredients
- Make the sausage patties
Combine the diced pork with all other ingredients in the recipe and allow the mixture to sit in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Grind up the pork mixture in the grinder, then shape the ground mixture into 1-inch rounds. The patties can reside in the refrigerator for a week, or the freezer for 3 months. If serving the patties right away, saute them in a pan for 10 to 15 minutes.