A copycat recipe for a Maid-Rite loose meat sandwich can be found on The Slow Roasted Italian, a home cookery website. This recipe serves 8-12 people.
Maid-Rite copycat loose meat sandwich recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours
Total time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium beef base or 1 bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium chicken base or 1 bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 lbs. raw lean ground beef
- 8 hamburger buns
- Make sauce
- Mix in ground beef
- Cook covered
- Cook uncovered
Turn on slow cooker and set to high. Add the water onion, beef and chicken base, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine.
Add the beef. Stir thoroughly until all the meat is coated in the sauce mixture.
Cook with the lid on for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
Uncover and cook for a further 2 and a half to 3 hours. This will allow most of the liquid to boil off. Continue to stir occasionally.
Warm the hamburger buns. Spoon the meat onto them with a slotted spoon to allow remaining liquid to drain off. Serve with toppings of choice such as cheese, pickles and condiments.