A good cauliflower soup recipe combines onions, carrots, celery and cauliflower gently cooked in butter with parsley, chicken broth and a simple white sauce. What sets this recipe apart is the sour cream stirred in before serving, giving the soup an extra richness.
Prep Time: 45 min.
Cook Time: 1 hr.
Ready In: 1 hr 45 min.
- 1 stick, butter
- 1/2 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 cauliflower head, cored
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- 8 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 6 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Ground black pepper
- 1 heaped cup, sour cream at room temperature
- Finely dice the onion, carrot and celery, and roughly chop the cauliflower.
- Melt half of the butter in a large pot over a medium heat and add the chopped onions, cooking for around 3 minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook for a further 2 minutes while stirring.
- Add the cauliflower and reduce the temperature to low. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the parsley and chicken broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While this is cooking, start on the white sauce by gently melting the other half of butter in a saucepan
- Whisk in the flour and cook for around 2 minutes before whisking in the milk.
- Remove from the heat and add half-and-half. Then, pour the white sauce mixture into the cooking pot with the soup, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for up to 30 minutes, allowing the soup to thicken a little.
- Pour the room temperature sour cream into a large serving bowl and then add the soup. Stir and serve immediately.