Basic cabbage soup such as the soup recommended for the cabbage soup diet involves mixing cabbage, onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, celery, carrots, green beans and seasoning. It is a low-calorie soup that dieters can eat throughout the day, and it is an easy recipe to alter.
Easy Cabbage Soup:
This cabbage soup recipe was originally published in Epicurious. It is fast and easy to make, and reviewers note that it is easy to tailor the recipe and experiment with different ingredients.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 20 min.
Ready In: 35 min.
- 1 head of green cabbage
- 2 green bell peppers
- 4 celery stalks
- 2 large onions
- 6 carrots
- 1/2 pound green beans
- 1 16-ounce can of chopped tomatoes
- Pepper and herbs to taste
- Shred the cabbage and set it aside. Chop the onions, celery and bell peppers and peel and chop the carrots. Snap the ends off of the green beans and slice them diagonally.
- Add the vegetables to a soup pot. Add enough water to cover the vegetables and put the pot on the stove on high heat. Bring the water to a boil, and then turn down the heat to medium. Let the vegetables boil for 10 minutes, and then turn down the heat to low. Cover the pot and let the vegetables cook until they are soft.
- To season the soup, add pepper and chopped fresh herbs to taste. Suitable herbs include sage, dill, parsley, thyme and cilantro.
To make a heartier soup such as Emeril Lagasse's cabbage-potato soup, add ingredients such as grated potatoes and beef strips.