A recipe for five-bean salad is Patrick and Gina Neely's Five-bean Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette. This combines cooked green beans with yellow wax, kidney, black-eyed and garbanzo beans, as well as sliced scallions, bell pepper, parsley and, optionally, marjoram. Then, toss the mixture with a vinaigrette of champagne vinegar, garlic, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, honey, hot sauce, salt, ground black pepper and extra virgin olive oil.
Five-bean Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette
This simple, highly rated recipe yields between six and eight servings.
Prep time: 20 min.
Cook time: 8 min.
Ready in: 28 min.
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 lb. green beans, trimmed and halved
- 3/4 lb. yellow wax beans, trimmed and halved
- 14 ounces dark red kidney beans
- 14 ounces garbanzo beans
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped marjoram or oregano, if using
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2-3 dashes hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Prepare the champagne vinaigrette
- Cook green beans
- Toss ingredients
Combine the garlic, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, honey, hot sauce, salt and black pepper in a mixing bowl. Add the olive oil, whisking until emulsified.
Bring a pot of lightly salted water to boil and add the green beans. Cook for about 8 minutes, or until just tender, then drain and immediately rinse the beans in ice cold water.
Place the green beans with the other four types in a large serving bowl, along with the scallions, bell pepper, parsley and marjoram, if using. Toss thoroughly with the vinaigrette and season to taste with salt and black pepper.