Slow Cooker Chili
This recipe was featured on The Martha Stewart Show, having been supplied by the comedian Jimmy Fallon. Cooked in a 6-quart slow cooker, it yields eight servings.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 5 hours, 40 min.
Ready In: 5 hours, 50 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1/2 lbs. ground chuck beef
- Coarse salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 habanero chili, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans tomatoes, chopped with juices
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 12 oz. amber beer
- 2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Learn more about Cooking
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat and cook the beef until brown. Season with salt and black pepper before draining, disposing of fat and setting aside.
- Add the other tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet, and soften the onions, garlic and chopped habanero chili on medium heat for around 5 minutes.
- Mix the beef and the onion mixture in the slow cooker and add chili powder, oregano, cumin and cayenne pepper.
- Next, add the tomatoes, cilantro and beer. Cover and cook on a high temperature for 5 hours, stirring every so often to prevent burning.
- Uncover and add the kidney beans, salt and pepper. Cook for a further 30 minutes or until the chili has thickened. Serve hot.