An easy slow cooker chili recipe combines ground beef, onions, garlic and chili with herbs, tomatoes and beer. Kidney beans are added for the final half hour of cooking before serving hot with a fresh cilantro garnish.
Slow Cooker Chili
This recipe was featured on The Martha Stewart Show, having been supplied by the comedian Jimmy Fallon. Cooked in a 6-quart slow cooker, it yields eight servings.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 5 hours, 40 min.
Ready In: 5 hours, 50 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1/2 lbs. ground chuck beef
- Coarse salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 habanero chili, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans tomatoes, chopped with juices
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 12 oz. amber beer
- 2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat and cook the beef until brown. Season with salt and black pepper before draining, disposing of fat and setting aside.
- Add the other tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet, and soften the onions, garlic and chopped habanero chili on medium heat for around 5 minutes.
- Mix the beef and the onion mixture in the slow cooker and add chili powder, oregano, cumin and cayenne pepper.
- Next, add the tomatoes, cilantro and beer. Cover and cook on a high temperature for 5 hours, stirring every so often to prevent burning.
- Uncover and add the kidney beans, salt and pepper. Cook for a further 30 minutes or until the chili has thickened. Serve hot.