An easy shrimp bisque recipe involves sauteing garlic and onions and mixing several ingredients in water brought alternately to a boil or simmer in about 30 minutes. This rich, creamy soup can be a simple meal or a welcome addition to a special occasion.
A side salad, crostini or optional garnishes complete this dish.
Prep/Cook time: 30 minutes
Ready in: 30 minutes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sodium-free chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a saucepan, saute the onion in olive oil until it is tender. Add the garlic and cook it another minute. Stir in the flour until it is blended. Add the water, cream, chili powder, bouillon, cumin and coriander and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and let the soup simmer while covered for 5 minutes.
- Add bite-sized pieces of shrimp into the soup. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until the shrimp turns pink. Gradually add a half cup of soup to the sour cream, mix and return it to the skillet, stirring constantly. Heat it through but do not bring it to a boil. Serve the bisque with an optional garnish of cilantro, avocado or whole shrimp and bread or salad if desired.