An easy recipe for lasagna soup combines broken lasagna noodles with a cooked mixture of onion, sausage, garlic, oregano, tomato paste, chicken broth and tomatoes. Fresh basil, Parmesan and cream are added towards the end, and the finished soup is garnished with ricotta.
Easy Lasagna Soup
Using the same ingredients, this quick and easy soup recipe puts an interesting twist on a classic favorite. It yields around four servings.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 20 min.
Ready In: 30 min.
- Kosher salt
- 10 lasagna noodles, broken
- 1 tbsp., extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for garnish
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb., Italian sausage, casing removed
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp., dried oregano
- 2 tbsp., tomato paste
- 4 cups., reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 15 oz., crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup., fresh basil, chopped, plus sliced leaves for garnish
- 1/3 cup., Parmesan, grated
- 1/4 cup., heavy cream
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil, and add the lasagna noodles to cook according to package instructions. Drain and toss with olive oil.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy cooking pot over a medium-high temperature and add the onions, cooking until soft. Add the sausage, garlic and oregano, stirring continuously and breaking up the sausage. After 3 minutes, add the tomato paste and stir for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and tomatoes to the pot, along with a cup of water, and then cover to bring to a simmer. Remove the lid and reduce for about 10 minutes before stirring in the lasagna noodles, chopped basil, Parmesan and cream. Continue simmering for 2 minutes.
- Serve the soup in bowls, topped with ricotta and the sliced basil leaves.