An easy Portuguese recipe is Rachel Ray's Portuguese Chicken, which makes use of chicken left over from a potage-type dish, that is, poached chicken leftovers. The recipe starts by bringing to a boil potatoes, carrots, celery and onion, as well as wine, sugar, salt, oil and chicken broth in a cooking pot, before leaving to simmer. Sauteed chorizo is added, along with tomato sauce and the chicken before the dish is served with bread and a parsley garnish.
This easy recipe yields about 4 servings.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 20 min.
Ready In: 30 min.
- 4 russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into diagonal chunks
- 3 ribs celery, cut into diagonal chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 1 c., dry white wine
- 2 tsp., sugar
- 1 tsp., salt
- 1 tbsp., extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 c., chicken broth
- 3/4 lb., chorizo, cut into diagonal chunks
- 4 pieces poached chicken, sliced into 1-inch strips
- 1 c., tomato sauce
- 1/4 c., chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Cook vegetables and chorizo
- Add chicken and serve
Bring the potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, wine, sugar, salt, oil and chicken broth to a boil in a covered cooking pot. Reduce the heat to simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the chorizo in a skillet until browned.
Add the chorizo to the simmering vegetables, along with the tomato sauce and chicken. Cook for a further 15 minutes, then serve in bowls with crusty bread and the parsley.