One easy doughnut recipe for kids is a plain cake doughnut recipe. It involves mixing ingredients such as flour, white sugar, butter and eggs and frying the dough until it is a golden brown. Cake doughnuts may then be topped with a glaze or covered in cinnamon and sugar or a number of other toppings.
Plain Cake Doughnuts
Although this is an easy doughnut recipe, adult supervision is required as this recipe requires the use of hot oil to fry the doughnuts. This recipe yields 12 doughnuts.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Ready in: 25 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 quart oil, for frying
- Place oil in a deep fryer or large pot and heat to 375 F.
- While the oil heats, sift the flour and combine with the sugar, salt, baking powder, nutmeg and cinnamon. Mix in the melted butter and combine until the dough is crumbly. Stir in the milk and beaten egg and combine until smooth. Knead lightly.
- Roll or pat the dough until it is 1/4-inch thick. Cut using a doughnut cutter or biscuit cutter.
- Carefully lower the doughnuts into the oil. Fry for 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning once during the cooking process.
- After removing from the oil, coat in cinnamon and sugar or cover with a confectioner sugar glaze.