The Cabbage Vegetable Soup is relatively simple to make with readily available ingredients and can be cooked in under an hour. While the recipe shown here is an all-vegetable cabbage soup, it still makes use of a chicken stock to bring the recipe together.
Cabbage vegetable soup recipe
Prep time: 15 min.
Total recipe time: 45 min.
Number of servings: 6
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Half of a cabbage head (about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs.), with core removed and sliced thinly
- 2 medium-sized carrots, diced small
- 1 medium-sized Yukon Gold potato, peeled and diced small
- 2 medium-sized leeks, white and light green parts only
- 2 celery stalks, diced small
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Cook the vegetables
- Add the broth and more ingredients
- Finish the recipe
Before starting, cut the leeks lengthwise, rinse, pat dry and then slice in half-inch cuts. Place a Dutch oven over medium high heat and heat the extra-virgin olive oil. Add the carrots, onions and celery, stirring from time to time for 5 minutes or until the vegetables have softened.
Once the vegetables have softened, add the leeks and garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the potato, chicken stock and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Add the cabbage, and add salt and pepper according to taste.
Wait until the soup boils again and then reduce the heat to bring the soup to a simmer. Cover the Dutch oven and cook for 20 minutes. Add the vinegar, thyme, and more salt and pepper according to taste.