Some dishes that go well with spiral-sliced honey ham include green beans, sugar snap peas, carrots and kale, asparagus and macaroni and cheese, notes Rachael Ray magazine. These dishes are commonly seen served at holiday dinners where a spiral-sliced ham might be the centerpiece.
A sliced honey ham is sweet, savory and very rich. Often, an equally rich dish is needed to stand up to this main course. Home cooks may want to try out a few different recipes.
- Green bean and shallot salad: Vinegar, paprika, mustard and Worcestershire sauce tossed with roasted green beans and shallots make for a quick, zesty salad.
- Sugar snap peas with frizzled mushrooms: Lightly blanched peas tossed with frizzled mushrooms in extra virgin olive oil is a bright, crunchy addition to the meal.
- Gingered carrot and kale ribbons: Leeks, carrot slices, raisins, garlic, ginger and kale leaves fried in the skillet are a sweet and savory pairing for a spiral ham.
- Asparagus with chopped egg: Boiled asparagus tossed with apple cider vinegar vinaigrette and topped with chopped boiled egg is both a tangy and protein-rich side dish.
- Macaroni and cheese: Hearty macaroni and cheese casserole from elbow pasta, cheese sauce and sweet caramelized onions is almost a meal in of itself.
- Cauliflower with spicy carrot pineapple sauce: Make the side dish a mix of sweet and hot with browned cauliflower baked in a sauce made from carrot juice, pineapple juice, shallots and plenty of red pepper.