Q:

What are the dangers of sucralose?

A:

Quick Answer

Sucralose is an artificial sweetener that is made using a variety of unnatural additives, the most dangerous being chlorine, reports MedicineNet.com. Chlorine is a carcinogen found in poisonous gas and pesticides. More testing of humans is required to determine the safety of ingesting sucralose.

Continue Reading
What are the dangers of sucralose?
Credit: blowbackphoto iStock Getty Images

Full Answer

Since sucralose is 600 times sweeter than sugar, it's typically ingested in very small quantities. That makes it difficult to determine the impact it has on caloric intake, medical side effects and even the absorption of prescription medications, MedicineNet.com adds. There are many alleged symptoms associated with its ingestion, including gastrointestinal problems, skin rash, chest pains, coughing and mood swings. Additionally, although it's leading product Splenda claims to be calorie-free, it actually contains the carbohydrates dextrose and maltodextrin, which have calories.

Early research on sucralose suggests it passes through the body undigested, points out Prevention. Current studies show that it is metabolized and linked to the following problems: reduction of the good bacteria in the gut by 50 percent or more; limited absorption of medications; release of a potentially toxic compound called chloropropanols when used in baking; and altered insulin response, blood sugar levels and possibly genes.

A reduction in insulin response is of particular concern for those at risk for Type 2 diabetes, notes the Huffington Post. People at risk for diabetes or obesity are more likely to be users of artificial sweeteners in an attempt to cut calories.

Learn more about Sweets

Related Questions

Explore