Corned beef is cooked by boiling and braising with spices, such as cloves and allspice, for several hours. Corned beef is often prepared with cabbage or used in corned beef hash.
Corned Beef with Cabbage and Potatoes
The following ingredients and steps are used to make corned beef, plus cabbage and potatoes.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours
Total time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- 3 lbs. corned beef brisket, in brine
- 2 bay leaves
- 16 cups cold water
- 4 whole allspice berries
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- Ground black pepper
- 2 lbs. green cabbage cut into 8 wedges
- 8 small new potatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Add corned beef, bay leaves, water, allspice, cloves and peppercorns in a Dutch oven. Boil uncovered and skim any scum that rises to the surface.
- Cover Dutch oven and transfer to oven. Braise for 3 hours and 45 minutes, or until it is very tender.
- Cover corned beef tightly with foil to keep warm and transfer to cutting board.
- Add cabbage and potatoes to liquid remaining in the Dutch oven and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Slice corned beef along grain into thin slices. Place vegetables on a platter and lay corned beef on top. Season with black pepper and cooking liquid.