Corned Beef with Cabbage and Potatoes
The following ingredients and steps are used to make corned beef, plus cabbage and potatoes.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours
Total time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- 3 lbs. corned beef brisket, in brine
- 2 bay leaves
- 16 cups cold water
- 4 whole allspice berries
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- Ground black pepper
- 2 lbs. green cabbage cut into 8 wedges
- 8 small new potatoes, halved
Learn more about Meat
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Add corned beef, bay leaves, water, allspice, cloves and peppercorns in a Dutch oven. Boil uncovered and skim any scum that rises to the surface.
- Cover Dutch oven and transfer to oven. Braise for 3 hours and 45 minutes, or until it is very tender.
- Cover corned beef tightly with foil to keep warm and transfer to cutting board.
- Add cabbage and potatoes to liquid remaining in the Dutch oven and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Slice corned beef along grain into thin slices. Place vegetables on a platter and lay corned beef on top. Season with black pepper and cooking liquid.