Some of the most common poisonous mushrooms are amanitas. Though not all amanitas are poisonous, others are some of the most deadly mushrooms known. One of these mushrooms is the fly agaric. It is known for its red, white speckled cap.Continue Reading
The fly agaric was used as a hallucinogen in some religious rituals. An even more toxic amanita mushroom is the destroying angel, or Amanita bisporigera. It is a pure white mushroom with a ring around the stalk. The stalk arises from a cup, which might be hidden underground. Once this mushroom is ingested, it is very hard to survive. The symptoms of poisoning do not appear for between 6 and 24 hours, by which time the mushroom's toxins have badly damaged the liver or the kidneys.
The leopard tricholoma is another deadly poisonous mushroom. It is a large mushroom with a grayish, mottled cap that is sometimes 6 inches in diameter. Unfortunately, it resembles edible, closely related mushrooms and has a pleasant smell and taste. The mycotoxin in this mushroom causes a severe inflammation of the stomach and the lower gastrointestinal tract that takes several days to recover from.
The emetic russula is known for its red cap and chalky stem. As its name implies, eating it causes vomiting. Fortunately, it does not taste good.Learn more about Vegetables