It is possible to get sick from eating old eggs, depending on how old they are and how they were stored, according to the Egg Safety Center. Eggs refrigerated at 45 degrees Fahrenheit or lower are okay to eat four to five weeks after they were packed.
Salmonella bacteria causes people to get sick from eating eggs, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Practices such as under-cooking eggs, leaving them out for more than two hours after they have been cooked, eating them more than five weeks past their packing dates and storing them in too-high temperatures cause the bacteria to multiply to dangerous levels. Consumers should refrigerate eggs until it is time to consume them.