Frozen vegetables can be steamed using stovetop or microwave methods. Steaming is one of the best ways to cook them and helps retain the nutrients more than other methods of cooking.
In order to steam frozen vegetables quickly in the microwave:
- Place the frozen vegetables in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add enough water so that about 1/3 of the vegetables are submerged.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Microwave the vegetables for several minutes until tender. Cook them longer to make them softer. Be careful of hot steam when removing the plastic wrap.
- Season the vegetables with salt, pepper, butter or anything else desired.
Vegetables can also be steamed on the stove using a steamer insert. Cook them anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes, depending on the type and size. Check the vegetables every few minutes to avoid overcooking.