Mango skin, unlike its pit, is edible. The mango skin contains chemical compounds that can be beneficial to the body, including potent antioxidants, such as resvertrol and mangiferin. Mango skin tastes bitter.
The mango skin, however, can be dangerous to eat as it contains urushiol, which is a chemical compound that is commonly found in poison oak and poison ivy. People who have strong reactions to poison ivy and poison oak should thus avoid eating mango skin to prevent allergic reactions and health complications. It is also possible to get contact dermatitis from peeling the fruit or handling mango vines.