Are Beetroot Leaves Poisonous?

Are Beetroot Leaves Poisonous?

Are Beetroot Leaves Poisonous?

Beetroot leaves are not poisonous or harmful to the general population. They do contain high levels of oxolate, so an individual with a history of oxolate-containing kidney stones should limit his beetroot leaf consumption.

Beetroot leaves are nutritious and well-suited for making salads and other dishes. Beetroot leaves can be a substitute for lettuce or spinach leaves in recipes. Young beetroot greens are the best for salads since they are sweeter and more tender than older leaves. Older beatroot greens are often stir-fried, cooked, sautéed or steamed. Beetroot leaves have a somewhat bitter taste and are often combined with other ingredients in recipes.