Q:

Is beeswax safe to eat?

A:

Quick Answer

Beeswax is safe for human consumption, however, it is not advisable to eat beeswax in large quantities as it may cause intestinal blockages. If a person is allergic to honey products, then eating beeswax may also cause an allergic reaction. Beeswax comes from the bee honeycomb, and contains over 284 different compounds.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

As beeswax is non-toxic, it is an approved substance in the United States, often found in foods, medications and cosmetics. In foods, beeswax is useful as a preserving agent, and in cosmetics it is often used as a fragrance enhancer, as well as a stabilizer in creams and ointments. The medicinal applications of beeswax include reducing cholesterol and relieving stomach ailments, according to WebMD. It is also suitable as a coating for pills and other medications.

Learn more about Food Facts

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What are the dangers of Splenda or Sucralose?

    A:

    Sucralose (also known by the brand name Splenda) has not been shown to have any risks involved with human consumption. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) states that no legitimate studies have shown negative consequences from its use even at the highest levels of intake.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What are some facts about water?

    A:

    Water might seem like an abundantly available resource, but in actuality only one percent of the world's water supply is fit for human consumption. Furthermore, 90 percent of the world's fresh water is trapped in glaciers found in Antarctica, and is therefore considered unusable.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is the melting point of beeswax?

    A:

    Beeswax has a melting point of approximately 143 to 147 degrees Fahrenheit. It has no fixed melting point because the composition varies from one wax to another. Once beeswax is heated above 185 F, its color changes to brown and it loses its aroma.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are green tomatoes poisonous?

    A:

    Green tomatoes are not poisonous and are safe for human consumption. An heirloom tomato plant produces tomatoes that are green even when fully ripe, while other types of tomatoes are green because they are not ripe. Coating the green tomatoes with a breading and frying them is a popular way to eat them.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore