Q:

Are avocado pits poisonous?

A:

Quick Answer

Avocado pits aren't poisonous to humans in small quantities, but they contain a fungicidal toxin called persin that can harm domesticated animals. Persin is an oil-soluble compound found in the leaves, bark and pits of avocados.

Continue Reading
Are avocado pits poisonous?
Credit: Keledjian Alexandre CC-BY-3.0

Full Answer

Avocado leaves and seeds are harmful when ingested in large quantities, but as of 2014, few cases of toxicity have been reported. Avocado pits are especially toxic to horses, cattle, goats and birds. Cats and dogs show slight signs of illness after eating large amounts of avocado flesh and peels, and eating the pits can cause gastric obstruction. Although some persin leaches into the flesh of avocados from the pits and skins, the concentration tends to be low. People with latex, banana, melon and peach allergies may be allergic to avocados.

Learn more about Fruit

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Is watermelon a natural laxative?

    A:

    Due to its high water content, watermelon is a natural laxative, especially when enjoyed in large quantities. According to the National Watermelon Promotion Board, watermelons are 92 percent water.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are avocado pits edible?

    A:

    Avocado pits are edible although they may not taste very good.. They are quite nutritious, containing potassium, phosphorus and soluble fiber.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Does avocado contain protein?

    A:

    Avocado contains protein in various amounts, depending on the variety of avocado considered. Data from USDA's SuperTracker program indicates that one cup of mashed or pureed avocado contains 5 grams of protein. Apart from protein, avocado also contains carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals such as potassium, calcium and phosphorous.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are banana peels poisonous to humans?

    A:

    Banana peels, also sometimes known as banana skin, are not poisonous to humans and actually contain a number of healthy nutrients that are vital to the body. However, a person needs to wash the peels to get rid of pesticide residue before eating them.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore