How Do I Get a House to Take Care of Disabled Foster Children?


Quick Answer

Some states provide financial and home assistance for foster parents caring for children with disabilities, according to the National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities, but this type of assistance varies by state. Foster parents need to contact state social workers to determine whether they can receive housing assistance.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

The Administration for Children and Families says foster parents need to apply through their state foster care office to get benefits. The first step is to contact the child's social worker to ask for contact information for state government resources.

Some states require foster parents to provide detailed financial information about their annual incomes, according to the National Resource Center for Permanency and Family Connections. This also applies to health benefits unique to being a foster parent for children with disabilities.

The National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities says once the state receives an application for housing or other assistance, the foster parent can get benefits including income tax exemptions, waived fees for installing ramps or other disability equipment in the house, or lodging in government-funded community housing projects. Foster parents who apply for housing or other assistance are not guaranteed to be eligible for a house, so they need to speak with their social worker to get detailed steps on how to apply in their state.

Learn more about Adoption

Related Questions