Where Can I Get My Deceased Father's Medical Records in the United Kingdom?


Quick Answer

In the United Kingdom, medical records of a deceased person can be obtained by applying in writing to the record holder. For hospital records, this will be the records manager at the hospital at which the person died, and for GP records, it will be the deceased person's Local Area team.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

There are four NHS England Local Area teams; North of England, Midlands and East of England, London and South of England. When a person dies in the United Kingdom, his GP records are passed to one of these teams. These records are usually kept for 10 years before being permanently destroyed.

A person can find out which local area team to contact by asking the deceased person's GP or by checking the regional and area teams page on the NHS England website.

According to the NHS Choices website, a person can only apply to access these records under the Access to Health Records Act (1990) if he is a personal representative, an executor or someone who has a claim resulting from the death. This should include the next of kin and may extend to other relatives, but it is worth checking eligibility before applying as a person may be charged for this service.

Learn more about Genealogy

Related Questions