How Can I Find My Birth Mother in England?


Quick Answer

Persons adopted after Nov. 12, 1975 can apply for access to their original birth records through the U.K. government adoption site. Persons adopted before that date must first meet with a counselor and an approved adoption advisor, after which they can apply for access to their records.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

  1. Apply for birth certificate information

    To find your birth mother, fill out the application for Birth Certificate Information Before Adoption service at Gov.uk.

  2. Submit the completed form

    Scan and email the completed BIBA service application to adoptions@gro.gsi.gov.uk.

  3. Add yourself to the Adoption Contact Register

    State your interest in finding your birth mother by adding your contact information to the Adoption Contact Register at the General Register Office. To find a birth relative, fill out form CR part 1, available on Gov.uk. Both you and your birth mother must add yourselves to the Adoption Contact Register for a connection to be made.

  4. Seek contact through HM Passport Office

    Contact the Adoptions section of HM Passport Office, and tell them you are seeking contact with a birth relative. If the relative is seeking contact with you, the intermediary will connect you.

  5. Use an intermediary agency

    If you were adopted before Dec. 30, 2005, you can contact an intermediary agency that acts in the same way as the Adoption Contact Register. The agency connects you and your birth mother if you are both in its system.

Learn more about Adoption

Related Questions