How Do You Write a Car Accident Report?

In most states, the Department of Motor Vehicles provides a form to help those who have been in car accidents file the appropriate report. The Oregon DMV, for instance, provides such a form on its website as of 2014.

Under Oregon law, those who have been in auto accidents must file an Oregon Traffic Accident and Insurance Report within 72 hours of the incident when damage to any vehicle involved exceeds $1,500. This law applies even to single-vehicle accidents. The form must be filled out and submitted within 72 hours of an applicable accident even if a police officer files a report.