How Do You Find Social Work Degree Courses?


Quick Answer

Use the website of the Council on Social Work Education to find an accredited college or university. Then contact the school directly to learn about its social work courses. When searching for social work degree courses, look for those offered by a school accredited by the CSWE.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Having accreditation by the CSWE means that a college or university's social work program meets the minimum standards for social work education. CSWE accredits both bachelor's and master's level social work degree programs. While schools that are not accredited may offer social work programs, students should be cautious about these programs because most states' licensing regulations require a social work degree from an accredited school in order for an individual to become licensed to practice social work. Some states license social workers with a bachelor's degree, while individuals with master's degrees are eligible for licensure in any state.

Social work courses typically include subjects such as understanding human behavior, skills for working with individuals and groups, social work theory, research and evaluation, as well as specific social issues such as mental health, substance abuse, child welfare, aging and human sexuality. Social work degree programs also require some courses in related fields such as psychology, anthropology, humanities and sociology.

Learn more about Colleges & Universities

Related Questions