Motivational quotes for new college graduates include Nelson Mandela's observation that "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world" and Yoko Ono's "A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." Motivational quotations for graduates might also be taken from college commencement speeches.
A range of celebrities, such as Oprah Winfrey, Steve Jobs and Bono, are remembered for giving such speeches. Celebrities' motivational words to new college graduates have included:
- "Whatever you do, wherever you go, do something real, make a real product, provide a real service, do something of value." ��� Robert De Niro
- "There is no such thing as failure. Failure is just life trying to move us in another direction." ��� Oprah Winfrey
- "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." ��� Steve Jobs
- "The world is more malleable than you think and it's waiting for you to hammer it into shape." ��� Bono
- "Get out, get a job. For God's sake, get a job." ��� Bill Cosby
Other inspiring quotes come from literary figures. These have included Mark Twain's epigrammatic "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education" and Henry David Thoreau's simple yet powerful advice to "live the life you have imagined."