How Do You Find a College for Social Worker Majors?


Quick Answer

The Council on Social Work Education awards accreditation to qualified social work programs. Its website has a directory of schools with accredited social work programs as of 2015. Another place to check is USA Today's 2014 list of the top 10 colleges for a social work major. The schools on this list have low student-to-faculty ratios and high graduation rates.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

CSWE.org's listing for each school tells whether the school offers a bachelor's degree in social work, a master's degree or both. Users can filter the list to show only schools offering bachelor's degree programs. Other search filters include the school name and state. The state filter includes U.S. territories.

Some colleges with bachelor's degree programs or majors in social work are New York University, Arizona State University, Bloomsburg University, Catholic University of America and the University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign.

A representative undergraduate program, New York University's social work curriculum includes on-site field work at different agencies as well as courses, which include Social Welfare Programs and Policies, Human Behavior in the Social Environment and Diversity, Racism, Oppression and Privilege. Some of the electives are Contemporary Families, Homelessness, Social Work with the Chronically Ill and Dying, and Social Justice and Peacemaking.

New York University is on USA Today's top-ranked colleges list. Other schools on the list include the University of California - Berkeley, the University of Wisconsin - Madison and the University of Texas - Austin.

Learn more about Colleges & Universities

Related Questions