How Can You Obtain a Copy of a Lost Degree Certificate?


Quick Answer

Any school or college is able to provide you with a replacement degree certificate if you lose the original. Contact the school's registrar's office or academic office or look on the school's website for an order form. You may need to have the form notarized to verify that the person requesting the replacement certificate is the student who earned it.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

There is usually a fee for replacement certificates, and there may be an option for either a photocopy or a certified copy. The form typically asks for information such as name, address, Social Security number, student ID number and dates enrolled in the program. It may take several weeks for the replacement degree to arrive. There may be an additional expediting fee if you need the replacement sooner.

If your name has changed since the degree certificate was first issued, you will need to provide legal proof of the name change. Some schools reissue degree certificates with the new name upon request.

Some countries only permit one certificate to be in circulation at a time, as the certificate is considered a legal document. In these countries, universities are not required to issue replacement certificates nor to specify the reasons for denying a replacement. In those countries, an affidavit declaring the original certificate lost is usually necessary when requesting the replacement certificate.

Learn more about Colleges & Universities

Related Questions