The Hopkins and Allen Firearms Company was founded in 1867 and was originally named the Hopkins and Allen Manufacturing Company. The company was founded in Norwich, Connecticut, by Charles W. Hopkins, Samuel S. Hopkins and Charles H. Allen.
Charles and Samuel Hopkins were brothers and met a gunsmith named Charles Allen in 1857. The three men purchased a building from the Bacon Manufacturing Company and established their firearms company. The company was renamed the Hopkins and Allen Firearms Company in 1898 after acquiring many other arms companies as other firearm manufacturers closed.
The Hopkins and Allen Firearms Company produced its last catalog in 1914 and was last listed in a city directory in 1916.