How Do You Write a Letter to Transfer the Ownership of a House?


Quick Answer

A letter to transfer the ownership of a house must be written in the form of a quitclaim deed, a grant deed or a warranty deed, according to LegalZoom. For all three documents, the basic information must include the names of the old and new owners, a description of the property and the signature of the old owner, according to Nolo.

Continue Reading
How Do You Write a Letter to Transfer the Ownership of a House?
Credit: Image Source Image Source Getty Images

Full Answer

In addition to the name of the old owner, legally known as the grantor or seller, and the new owner, called either the grantee or buyer, the documents must include identifying information about the property, such as the lot, tract and assessor's parcel numbers, according to the Clerk Recorder of Stanislaus County. Depending on the location, the letter may also need to include tax information, such as a transfer tax declaration and mailing information for future tax statements.

The signatures of all grantors in the transfer are required with proper notarization. When submitting a quitclaim, the grantor simply transfers their entire rights to the property over to the grantee, without providing any promises or guarantees about the property, according to LegalZoom. In contrast, both a grant deed and a warranty deed make certain promises to the grantee, such as ensuring that there are no other claims of ownership and no liens on the property, according to Nolo.

Learn more about Financial Planning
Related Videos

Related Questions