What Are Some Ways to Recover Unclaimed Money?

To recover unclaimed money, search for it in state unclaimed property offices and federal agencies, then file a claim for it along with suitable identification. Because there is no single website or database that compiles information on lost money, search each state office or organization individually.

Financial institutions and other businesses turn over unclaimed money such as bank accounts, stocks, payroll checks, utility deposits and insurance payments to state unclaimed property offices. Although state offices attempt to locate owners through websites, data searches and announcements, much of the lost money remains unclaimed. Use the interactive map on the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators website to search unclaimed property offices state by state or the search engine at MissingMoney.com to conduct a free search of many participating states. Once you have located unclaimed money belonging to you, follow the directions on the website to make your claim.

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation maintains an online searchable database of unclaimed deposits from failed federally insured banks. The National Credit Union Association website has a list of unclaimed funds from liquidated credit unions. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has a database of unclaimed FHA-insured mortgage refunds. The U.S. Department of the Treasury TreasuryHunt program has a database of unclaimed mature savings bonds. Follow instructions on each site to claim money once you find it.