What Is the Best Way to Serve a 30-Day Notice to Tenants?


Quick Answer

A landlord can serve a 30-day notice to tenants by using personal or substituted service or by posting and mailing a copy of the notice. The landlord can also send the notice by registered or certified mail and request a return receipt. The best way to serve the notice depends on circumstances as these procedures are legally effective.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

To serve a 30-day notice personally, the landlord must hand the notice to the tenant or leave it with him if he refuses to take it. If the landlord cannot find the tenant at home or at work, he can use substituted service. For substituted service to be legally acceptable, the landlord must leave the notice with an adult or a teenage member of his household. If he leaves the notice at the tenant's workplace, he must mail a copy to the home of the tenant.

If the landlord cannot serve the notice by personal or substituted service, he can tack or tape a copy of the notice to a conspicuous place on the rental unit occupied by the tenant and mail another copy to the address of the rental unit. A 30-day notice must be made in writing, state the full name of the tenant or tenants, contain the address of the rental property, and state that the tenancy ends in 30 days.

Learn more about Real Estate

Related Questions