What Is the Best Way for a Foreign Person to Get a Job in the U.S. or Canada?

What Is the Best Way for a Foreign Person to Get a Job in the U.S. or Canada?

Foreign people who want to get a job in the U.S. or Canada must first obtain the correct working visas. In Canada, prospective employees must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN), and in the U.S. they need an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

There are a few ways for foreign individuals to find work in the U.S.

  • Individuals who want to work in the U.S. temporarily can obtain a temporary work permit. They must do this before arriving in the country to seek work.
  • Someone who is not a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the country needs an EAD. The EAD each person applies for depends on their circumstances. For example, a foreign student goes through a different process than does a permanent immigrant worker.
  • Individuals who are looking for work may wish to try the American Job Center for details of programs and employment opportunities. In addition, they need to ensure they obtain a social security number and pay the correct taxes.

In Canada, foreign people who are looking for work follow these instructions:

  • The Canadian government has a list of occupations that require work permits, and those that do not. Before applying for a job, it is necessary to check the list.
  • People who need to apply for a work permit must ask their employer to fill out a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). In addition, they need a SIN.
  • Individuals who have qualifications from outside of Canada must ensure they are sufficient for working within their chosen occupation.