How Do You Get a W2 Form If You Are Unemployed?

W-2 forms are obtained by requesting them from former employers or by contacting the IRS by phone, explains the IRS. For those who receive unemployment benefits, Form 1099-G is used instead of a W-2, according to H&R Block.

The IRS suggests that taxpayers, whether employed or unemployed, should first contact their employer or former employer if they have not received a W-2. If the W-2 was in fact mailed, it may have been returned to the employer due to an incorrect or incomplete address. The IRS suggests that if the W-2 needs to be reissued, the receiver should allow a reasonable amount of time for the W-2 to arrive. If a W-2 is not received by Feb. 14, the person should contact the IRS by phone. Callers must provide their name, address, Social Security number, phone number, employer information, dates of employment and an estimate of wages earned. Taxpayers can get an extension until April 18 and are allowed to use Form 4852 as a substitute for a W-2 if it has still not been received, states the IRS.

Form 1099-G is accessed at This form is usually received by Feb. 1 and is not due until Feb. 15, according to H&R Block.