How Do You Use IRS Form 7004?

Use IRS Form 7004 to request an extension to file certain business income tax, explains the Internal Revenue Service. After properly completing Form 7004, make the necessary payment of estimated tax, when applicable, and file the form by the due date. The IRS usually grants the extension request.

Businesses, corporations, certain trusts and partnerships use IRS Form 7004 when requesting an extension, notes FileLater. The form has three parts, and entities may need to complete Part I or Part II, depending on the type of extension requested. Every entity must complete Part III. Taxpayers can mail Form 7004 to the correct address, as outlined on Form 7004's instructions, or can e-file Form 7004 for certain extensions.

The type of taxes extended when filing Form 7004 include Tax Form 1120-PC, 3520-A, 1041, 706-GS (D), 8613, 8725, 8924 and 8876. Taxpayers cannot e-file a tax extension for Form 8612, 8876, 8831, 8725, 8613 or 706-GS(D). To obtain an extension to file on these forms, it is necessary to mail a Form 7004 to the IRS, says FileLater. Tax Form 7004 does not extend the time to pay any tax due, so the filing entity must estimate the amount of taxes it may owe.